Perfect?

An old situation presented itself in a new surrounding today.  When my alarm went off 2 hours before church which is 15 minutes away, I just didn't get up. Why would I set my alarm two hours early?  I gave myself permission to lie still and listen to my thoughts. 

When I picture church in my head, I see an older woman and her husband a few rows ahead of where I am sitting.  She has short hair which shines in the recessed lighting, she's appropriately dressed and is sitting within a group of friends. 

For me, this is a consequence of my perfectionism.  It's in no way a reflection of anyone else.  By definition, it means if I jump high enough and meet standards that are "just a little better," I can be perfect 

These standards have nothing to do with my relationship with The Lord, which is where true importance lies.  

We could look at this problem as a blessing in disguise.  Maybe self-help "encouragements".  Would we be happier if we were less "aware" of our presentation to the world?  Instead of giving ourselves permission to bathe twice a week would we be more comfortable in our skin if we cleaned it at least every other day.  A compliment on how pretty our hair looks is a giant step toward a smile. And, spending some of our food money on new clothes has many benefits.  

Improvement can be enjoyed in small portions.  For some of us it works better to look around and be aware of how we can make smileable improvements.  The joy that brings smiles is a great place to invest our resources.  Just one thing put away or 15 minutes invested gets us out of our heads and makes us mindful of the real world not bogged down by our baggage. Even the smile produced by the thought of the reward shows us where we can begin. Double reward.  Let our instincts be our guide.  We probably know what we need to do to be happier, we're just having trouble getting going.  Look around and take credit for improvements we make. 

Is there such a thing as a little perfection?  Could it be a tool toward improvement?  Are there different types of perfection, some good some bad? It needn't automatically be a villain.  

Perfectionism can rob us and others of the ability to enjoy the good things God has given us. 

So much sweeter when we ask for and use God's help.  

Thank You, Father.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salvation Statement

God's Intended Life for Me