Where have they flown?
In July of 2019, almost a year after my cancer diagnosis, I finished working on a page I call my Salvation Sheet. I was saved in 1980 and lived in fear that someday God would bring someone into my life He wanted me to tell about my faith and salvation. From time to time He did that.
In 2019, I finally sat down at my computer and began
assembling verses and principles about salvation in a way that was concise and logical. After about two months of revising,
condensing and formatting, it was ready.
Often I used the website Gotquestions.org to find the references to back
up the principles I had learned over the years.
I loaded my sheet onto a thumb drive and printed a dozen copies at the Library. The first of many dozens. Where have they traveled? Like children with a life of their own.
John 3:3 Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one
is born again[b] he cannot see the kingdom
of God.”And In John 6:44, Jesus says: “No one can come to
Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last
day.” I have never pursued anyone, waiting for God to bring them
into my life so I could share His message with them, always involving a little story. I’ve
been able to offer my sheet to the man who helped me when I ran out of Gas on
France Avenue during rush hour, a group of elderly gentlemen having a Geritol hootenanny,
and the man who needed something to read on the Super Bus to Chicago. One of my most moving stories involves a Viet
Nam vet on a stifling August afternoon. I
had just gotten a large ice water at McDonalds and came up to the man at the
stoplight near Har Mar. He had all his
belongings with him and I was the third car back waiting to make a left-hand
turn. When he got to my car the only
thing I had to offer was my ice water, not even a salvation sheet. When he took the water, I told him “God said to tell
you He loves you.” His reply: “I sure hope so.”
Matthew 25: 35-40: I was hungry and you
gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you
took Me in; 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give
You drink? , 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the
least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.' I pray God has this man tucked under His
wing.
On a beautiful summer evening, I rode the light rail
downtown St. Paul to attend a play. Coming
home I sat near an old woman in a heavy wool coat, sound asleep, carrying all
her possessions in Target bags. The only
thing I had for her was half the roll of quarters I had used for my fare. To make sure she didn’t overlook them I bent
down and put my arm around her shoulders to wake her and give them to her. She was both delicate and ethereal, not the faintest
odor from her old coat, her neatly brushed hair or her delicate smile. To myself, I refer to her as “my angel.” Hebrews 13:2
“Be not forgetful to
entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.”
Dozens
more have been given to strangers on street corners hold unreadable signs, always responding with a sincere and humble “God
bless you.” People with all their belongings,
people packed for traveling, women who are bruised or missing teeth who would
have stories of their own to tell. Sometimes God prompts me to go around the
block and come back a second time. Healthy,
sick, sweltering in August, shivering in April.
People I have seen in the past who catch my eye with a hopeful look. How fortunate I have been. God gave me a love of writing and then gave
me the perfect assignment. “Thank You” has always come from somewhere deep inside
of me and the strangers and I say “Thank You” at the same time. Both a bit surprised.
Comments
Post a Comment